Sign up Genius for Chat with Mrs. Ray
Simplifying our Learning Framework
Wow! It’s the first of May, and it’s very difficult to believe that the traditional school year would be winding down if we were together. We would be having our field trip as well as our Creekview-famous field day. We would be working on our end-of-year project that the children would take home, and we would be “loving on” each other in an attempt to treasure our final moments together before summer break.
In this current learning environment we realize that you all are approaching exhaustion. We know that your heart to continue homeschooling your children is limited only by the physical demands of the task. We fully understand the mental fatigue that washes over students as the outdoor temperature begins to rise! Therefore, we want to help you be successful until grades are complete. After considering the feedback you’ve provided, the second grade team wants to simplify the framework for the remaining weeks. We are combining our teaching videos and graded assignments so that each week will then have only 4 tasks and each task will be used as a grade. Please be mindful that the engagement length will vary by assignment as some teaching videos are a bit longer and others are somewhat shorter. Additionally, though some videos stretch to 5-6 minutes, we are still well under the recommended number of minutes that are suggested for maximum student engagement. Best of all, the children should be wholly independent with this format.
As always we want to hear your comments. Our sole desire is to simplify this process as we are certain the children’s enthusiasm is waning. Let us know how it works for you.
Your second grade team
Google Meet for April 13 - 17
- We will have daily opportunities for engagement.
- On Mondays and Wednesdays, our Meet will be 8:30 - 9:00 A.M., and on Tuesdays and Thursdays it will be 3:00 - 3:30 P.M.
- Your family may choose to participate any day or time that is convenient for you.
- I will answer questions about content and/or the children and I will work through 2-3 problems.
- We will generally have a read aloud, which we tried it this week, and it was successful.
Parent Update - Digital Learning Week 3/30 - 4/3
March 29, 2020
Greetings! We all continue to feel so blessed with health and well-being, and we trust that your family is the same. We have listened to your comments regarding our online class experience and we thank you for providing us feedback. We have used it to arrive at some conclusions:
#1 The word of the week is “stabilization;” therefore, everything is staying in the same format.
We Learn: video lesson
We Do: active learning
We Practice: opportunity for written practice
#2 While we are still not requiring work for submission of grades, we are reviewing student work if students submit it.
#3 Many of you wanted more assignments, which you will notice under the “optional” heading.
#4 This week in science we added a “project” that should comfortably span 2 full weeks. Please allow students time to slowly enjoy the journey. It is a very full and engaging unit.
#5 Most importantly, we feel the feature that will drive student success is to use the documents in the right way. A document called “Framework” is the week’s overview. It is posted in Google Classroom.
Other documents are also posted in Google Classroom. Please guide the students to work from the framework and then complete the other attachments after they’ve finished each “We Learn” part. In this way, they are producing quality and thoughtful work.
In closing, we’re hopeful that this week we will be allowed to begin some interaction with the students in group conversations. The district will distribute this information when it becomes available. Thank you for your patience in this matter as student privacy is always most important to administration.
Your Second Grade Team
Inspired to Speak After Exchange with a Parent
As you begin preparing your Google Classroom, please direct your parents/students to the District Remote Learning Plan for log in instructions to Google Classroom/Clever. At this time, there is no need to recreate anything. We’d like to direct everyone to one place and not create extra steps or work for you.
Here are the District Remote Learning Plan Resources (You are welcome to link to these.) I’ll also have this available in the Creekview Smore (which Parents will receive soon.)
Welcome to Google Classroom
These next weeks we will have the opportunity to learn together with our students through Google Classroom. Before Monday morning, please make sure you can log on to Google Classroom. There is a special welcome video waiting for you! When you find the video, leave a comment saying hello to your teacher and classmates.
How to Log On to Google Classroom
- Every student in second grade has accessed Google Classroom at school. To access Google Classroom you must first log in to your child’s gmail account.
- Username: email@example.com (ID # is the same as their lunch #)
- Password: tisdbirthdate
- The Google Classroom icon (and access) are located in a few places. Either way will gain you access.
- Your child can log in to their Clever page, and locate the chalkboard Google Classroom icon.
- Or, go to your google home screen. Click on the “waffle” icon in the top right hand corner. This will take you to your Google Suite.
- Lastly, you can download Google Classroom onto a handheld device: iPad or phone.
- If you are still unable to find your child’s Google Classroom, here is a step by step slide on how to access.
Please let us know if you have any questions or you are unable to access!
Have a great weekend,
2nd Grade Teachers
Week of 3/2 - 3/6
- The district has installed hand-sanitizing stations throughout the building. Please remind your children to faithfully use them. The students are pretty good about washing their hands, but this provides an extra layer of protection to keep us all well.
- We are generally finished with grades, but I am plugging a few holes for some outstanding grades.
- Friday is our annual school-wide kickball game. The lower grades will have the opportunity to watch 5th grade play and Mrs. Ford, our room mom, will be with us to provide an extra set of eyes since we are all outside for a lengthy amount of time.
- Friday is a full day prior to Spring Break. School will resume on Tuesday, March 17.