First Grade Sight Words
Here are some amazingly fun and exciting way for your child to practice their sight words and spelling words on a daily basis. Practice can be fun if you use some of the activities suggested below!
FUN WAYS TO PRACTICE SIGHT WORDS!
- Good Clean Words: Write the words in shaving cream (fluffy kind, not the gel kind) on a counter or other surface that can be cleaned safely.
- Stick To It Words: Spell the words using magnetic letters.
- Puzzle Words: Write each letter of a word on a piece of paper or cardboard. Cut the letters into puzzle pieces. Put the puzzles back together to spell the words.
- Flash Words: Write flashcards for the words. You can use index cards and markers. Keep an extra set in the car.
- Beachy Words: Write your words in sand.
- Story Tale Words: Write a story using all of the words. Highlight the words.
- Rainbow Words: Write your words in three colors. Write each word 3 times using different colors. Ex. Write it in green, then write it in red, then write it in blue.
- Eat Your Words: Use a dry erase marker and write words on a solo plastic plate.
- Matching Words: Make two cards for each of the words and play concentration. Flip all cards over. Pick two cards and try to find matches. Keep the matches.
- Bright Words: In a dark room, use a flashlight to write out the words on the wall or ceiling.
- Tic-Tac-Toe Words: Make flash cards for your words and a blank tic-tac-toe board. Place a sight word card in each square on the tic-tac-toe board. In order to place an X or O in the spot you have to read the word.
- All Mixed-Up Words: Write your words by cutting letters out of old newspapers or magazines. Glue the letters down to spell the words.
- Sound Words: Use tape recorder and record your words and their spelling.
- Choo-Choo Words: Write all the words as one big word, with each word a different color.
- All Together Words: Write each word in a sentence. Use proper capitalization and punctuation.
- Fancy Words: Print each word three times in your best handwriting. Use a fancy pen.
- Cheer your Words: Do a cheer with the letters. Clap each letter, snap each letter, etc.
- Sidewalk Words: Write your words on the sidewalk using sidewalk chalk.
- ABC Order: Write the words in alphabetical order.
- Word Detective: Open to any page of any book that you are reading. Try to find any of the sight or spelling words. Hug them with your index finger on either side and shout it out. Try another page!
- Air Words: Use your finger. Write your words in the air or on your parent’s back.
- Two Color Words: Write your words with vowels (a,e,i,o,u) in one color and consonants (all the other letter) in a different color.
- 3D Words: Use play dough or modeling clay to make your words.
- Scrabble Words: Make your words using Scrabble tiles.
- Magna Doodle Words: Write your words on a Magna Doodle.
- Spelling City: Lots of games to practice spelling words.
- Clothespin Words: or Popsicle Words: Clothespin game. Write each letter on a clothespin. Mix the clothespins up. Clip the letters together in the right order to spell the word. Clip onto anything –a string, a folder, a piece of cardboard. Can also do with popsicle sticks.