What Children Should Know Before Entering Kindergarten
The following list is a set of standards or expectations for students at the end of prekindergarten. If your child is able to do these things when he or she starts kindergarten in the fall, it will make his or her transition much smoother.
- Recognize name
- Writes name with a capital and lowercase letters
- Names 20 upper and 20 lower letters
- Recognize 20 letter sounds
- Produce the sounds for at least 10 letters when shown the letter.
- Engage in pre-reading behaviors - Holds a book right side up turning one page at a time
- Engage in free drawing and writing activities
- Remains still and Listens to stories