Well, we are in full motion in third grade. The last component to be added will be homework, which I will not add until Open House out of respect for our families who are still trying to regain equilibrium after the hurricane. If it was possible to delay longer, I would.
Because of this year's start, we are also a little sluggish about adding grades, but we are in the final 3 weeks of our first grading period, so these remaining weeks we will accumulate several grades.
Two upcoming major grades:
Science test: Toward the end of this week we will have a test about States of Matter and its physical properties. Though I think we are in great shape based upon our lab visits, this is the content with which students need to be familiar:
solid - fixed shape, piles up, rolls, collects; molecules packed with little to no space between
liquid - fills a container, has the shape of its container; molecules have space in between
gas - spreads out and goes outward and upward in all directions and fills area; molecules have much space between and bounce
mass - often confused with weight
matter is anything that has mass and takes up space
properties that we've experimented with in class: texture, mass, color, shape, buoyancy, magnetism, and hardness
children will have to describe 2 properties of items; it will look like this:
I know that silly putty is a solid because it has a fixed shape and is non-magnetic.
Yes, their complete sentence will be graded for grammar as well as content.
Lastly, according to my pre-assessment, the only thing that I think is on shaky ground is the use of a ruler. While the children can align at zero and give me the last number they see, they are not adept at understanding that measurement is the difference between the last digit and the first. In third grade not every image they see on a test is aligned at zero. As a result, if I have a paperclip that is placed between 3 and 5 cm on the ruler, only 7% of the children know that it is 2 cm long. The other 93% think that it is 5 cm in length. We have worked on it in class, but if you have time for home support that would be great, as well.
Writing Test: Also, we are beginning to write a narrative that will be a major writing grade for this grading period. Yes, it is challenging, but we are talking through every component of the process and we've been writing non-stop since school began. I hope the children are chatting with you about it!
I hope to see you all at Open House. As always let us know as you have questions.